August: Dog Days of Summer

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Alone

Halfway, baby!! Tonight marks post number 15 out of 30 for the National Blog Posting Month on the Blogher challenge... "30 posts in 30 days" Can I get a woot woot?
Writing every night has been a serious challenge. Especially trying to write anything I think might be in the least bit interesting for anyone else but me to read. But "a writer writes"- right? Not that I consider myself a writer, more maybe just someone who enjoys writing, and find it a cathartic and mind exercising thing to do every night. Sitting on the couch in the den in my nightgown and sweater with a roaring fire, 4 cats, a good movie (with the sound turned off) and a glass of wine after everyone else in the house is snugly tucked into their beds, I'm sort of finding my bliss.
I'm posting very late tonight, because I got sucked into a movie called "Multiple Sarcasms" with Timothy Hutton, Dana Delaney and Mira Sorvino. (I had obviously turned the sound on for this one). The basic premise of the film, as described in the blurb on DirecTV reads,  "Gabriel is a successful architect but, one day, realizes that he hates his life; he quits his job to write a play, a decision that ruins his marriage but brings him happiness."  Well- thought I- HUH. Doesn't that sound familiar!? OK- not the hating my life to that extent or ruining my marriage part, but the hating the job, being an architect, wanting to write part- certainly. Haven't quit the job yet- still too terrified with no other employment prospects as of yet to fall back on. My responsibilities outweigh my own mishigas at this point. There was a great line in the movie, which I wrote down:
Timothy Hutton and Mira Sorvino are best friends, sitting in the park talking about what life is like for him a year after he and his wife (Dana Delaney) have split and she and their daughter have moved out. He says, "I loved the idea of being alone when there was someone in the other room. But when there isn't..." and Mira Sorvino cuts him off and says, "yeah. You're alone." The way she speaks the word "alone" at the end of that response sort of hangs like and echo in the air. What a perfect summation of so much! How often I've felt exactly that same way- haven't you? We love the concept of being alone as an abstract,  but the hard reality of it is something else entirely. It's an amazing moment as films go, and the whole movie is filled with great writing like that. I want to be able to write like that. I want to be able to convey life in ways that make people stop and think, and say "hmm" to themselves. Writing every night helps... even if it's just a rant, this blog is my only creative outlet right now. So thanks for reading (if there IS anyone still reading) and thanks for sticking with me!


Tomorrow night I will continue with my story- part 2. Get ready for some good drama...

No comments:

Post a Comment